Top positive review
One of the best modern gaming headsets available
April 21, 2016
I am a very avid gamer who also has a strong desire to have great sounding quality for music and just about everything in general. I'm not a competitive gamer in regards to attending local tournaments and such, but I do play games and put a lot of money and time towards them regardless. Also, I am primarily a PC gamer and this review is only from my experience with using it with PC as I have not tried it yet on a console.
I was unsure about this headset at first but I can say after using them for a while, they're definitely the best and my favorite headset that I've ever owned. A friend of mine has been using Astro headsets for years and recommended them to me, and I was looking for a high quality headset that I could use for gaming, everyday use and for music. I can say that I'm not disappointed and I love this headset for use at home, but they definitely don't seem like headphones that would be good to use on the bus or on a school/work commute, and definitely not in a place that is supposed to be quiet (ie a library). This doesn't mean that they're not good, but they are essentially meant for use in private or an environment where gaming noise is acceptable (LAN party or at a tournament, for example). This review is based on the stock kit and while I do plan on purchasing the mod kit, it seems awfully difficult to get a hold of
- Excellent sound quality (After EQing to my taste, might be different for everyone but I like my bass and highs boosted with the mids reduced a bit)
- Surround sound is excellent for playing games, watching movies or listening to certain kinds of music (this is also relevant in the cons)
- Insanely comfortable even for long periods of wear
- Sleek and stylish design
- Durable and sturdy build, although they feel like they might snap if stretched apart super far though (but why would you do that?)
- Mixamp is handy and convenient to use, and is great to have a volume and game/voice knob to turn without having to change anything on your computer
- The microphone, while not perfect, still sounds great and is excellent for use when gaming and talking to friends on Skype/Teamspeak/etc
- In-line mute button is handy
- This headset can be used for mobile phones as well and even the microphone works for phones when plugged into the headset!
- As mentioned in the pros, while surround sound is great, it seems that more often than not, it is better to listen to music specifically with the stereo setting instead.
- Sound isolation is basically non-existent, meaning that if you use this headset even at around 50-60% volume, people will be able to hear what you're listening to VERY clearly (so don't use this headset in a library or something where it's supposed to be quiet)
- On the flip side, noise cancellation isn't really there either and you will be able to hear noises from outside sources if they are loud enough. In most cases, your game audio/music will block that out though.
- This is a headset that is definitely designed to be used at home or an indoor environment, so obviously wouldn't be a good idea to take with you when commuting or walking outside
- The microphone doesn't sound PERFECT (although it is still very good) but then again you can't consider this much to be a con as it's meant for gaming and not recording vocals for music or dialogue for podcasts/voice acting etc.
- Price, of course ($330 was a bit steep of a purchase for a headset but I'm glad that I made the plunge as they are well worth it)
Overall, I'm very happy with this headset and I'm glad I got them, and with proper care I'm sure they'll last for years. It took me just a little while to EQ the sound to my taste, and the Astro Command Center software honestly isn't difficult to use or bad like most people seem to make it out to be. I would easily recommend these to a friend or anyone who is looking for a high quality headset to use for gaming, movies and music and general use at home. This headset is amazing if you're using it at home or in a quiet environment, but I can't testify for what the experience is like in a loud environment. All in all, this headset is absolutely phenomenal despite its few flaws, but the positives EXTREMELY cover the cons it has and perhaps with the mod kit this headset will be even better.